cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Split Tunneling

shabib.syed
Level 1
Level 1

I am not really sure if I am getting split tunneling right. If split tunneling is enable on my PIX for the VPN clients. Then all the traffic from that client site to the public network (internet) will not pass the ipsec tunnel but go thru the clients network right? and if it is disable then the traffic to the internet will pass the tunnel. which means access to internet will be from my pix firewall i.e the client will utilize our bandwidth to surf the network. and will be decrease the throughput.

how this helps......both security and thruput can some 1 explain ...Thanks

3 Replies 3

mike-greene
Level 4
Level 4

You have got the split tunneling right, but with out it users will not beable to browse the internet because the PIX does not allow packets to come in one interface and then go out that same interface.

Hope this helps...

Thanks Mike

if PIX does not allow client to browse internet when split tunneling is disabled. Will that stil create load on the VPN headend.

I would not think so. I don't know what kind of PIX your using and how many VPN peers it can have but It should be just like anything else going up against the ASA and being dropped.

Anyone else have any insight on this one?