Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ssh on old ios

Hi gurus,

Is it ok to enable ssh login on old ios such as 12.0 on gsr and cat 6500 on 12.1.

tnx.

4 Replies 4

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jeff,

Yes, while it is absolutely fine to enable SSH on the above versions and chassis. Most likely 12.0 and 12.1 only supports SSHv1. In case you need SSHv2, you may have to upgrade to a newer release.

I would do couple of things before that

1. Make sure that the image that you are running supports SSH. That is, DES or 3DES Image.

2. Based on the specific version you are running, look at the release notes on cisco.com and make sure that there are no SSH caveats that affects your release.

3. SSH Configuration is very simple, but I would recommend that you configure/test this in a maintenance window. Just to have some downtime if things go wrong.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

Hi Arul,

Thanks a lot for these info. Is there a possible crash if ever i enabled this feature? For testing i would both enable telnet and ssh first and then leave ssh only.

tia.

jeff

Jeff,

Can you share the exact version of code and chassis that you are planning to enable SSH Feature.

Also, are you planning to enable SSHv1 or SSHv2.

Regards,

Arul

Hi Arul,

For my GSR, 7200's and Cat6500. I would like to use v2 for updated security.

GSR c12kprp-k4p-mz.120-32.S8

7200 12.4

6500 12.1 c12kprp-k4p-mz.120-32.S8

tnx.

jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: