cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static nat and vpn peer concentrator

r.spiandorello
Level 1
Level 1

Any problems with static nat of vpn ipsec central peer?

I'd like to protect a VPN concentrator or an IOS router with a pix. Concentrator with private address statically natted by the pix.

I know I need esp.

Thanks in advance

Renato

7 Replies 7

noc
Level 1
Level 1

this works poorly with vpn concentrator, worse with

ios router. IF you go this route, your remote peer MUST be using a public IP (NO NAT). You cannot

have both local and remote devices using private

IP's. (I have tried for a long time). If you do this,

do a one to one nat (public > Private) lock it

down with access list, but you cant effectively do

ESP PAT with PIX

Yes, remote peers with public ip address and central vpn concentrator with static nat.

Thanks

srittenberg
Level 1
Level 1

setup three areas on PIX: public; dmz; inside. Plug the vpn (I assume this is a Cisco VPN 3000..) concentrator's public interface to the dms switch (both PIX's dmz interface and vpn concentrator's public interface on the same switch), then plug the PIX inside to the inside switch, plug in the vpn inside interface to the inside switch, plug the router's eithernet interface to the inside switch. Your local lan will be on the the same segment as the inside swith. config is simple, works very well. does this help?

yes sure, that's my idea. Any problems with static nat of public vpn3000 interface ? (or ios router for peer-to-peer)

I do not see an issue with it. This is one of the option provided by VPN 3000. but if you select this option "IPSec through NAT", you must also enable it at the client.

Do you see issues with ios routers in the place of central vpn concentrator?

Thanks

It depends on how many sessions you plan to terminate on the router. IOS router even with VPN accelerator card will still have lot of limitations when it comes to support large number of VPN clients. I will not replace VPN concentrator with an IOS router unless you are talking about 7100 or above routers that’s design to handle VPN. Remember, IOS needs to create access-list dynamically to handle the security requests. That puts pressure on processor.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: