Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

static route on Internet router

I have an inside network 10.0.0.0 ,which is protected with PIX from router for Internet.

On PIX I have to insert "route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.10.2"

On router Internet have to I insert "ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 172.16.10.1"?

In the example on CCO I never haven't find this command.

thanks

Lorenzo

2 REPLIES

Re: static route on Internet router

Hi,

did you configure NAT on the router? Since you are using 172.x.x.x between the pix and the router, the router has to do NAT.

Regards,

Tom

Re: static route on Internet router

The network 172.16 your are using on the outside interface , i infer by seeing the route command.

If i understood properly, your topology goes like this

10.0.0.0--------(PIX)-------172.16.0.0---------(InternetRouter)-------------Internet

In this case, you need to give the route command on the pix to tell it to route all the traffic through the outgoin interface, with the next hop ip address (which is the ip address of the Internet router facing the PIX).

This is what you have the command

route outside 0.0.0.0. 0.0.0.0 172.16.10.2

On the internet router, you dont have to give the ip route command, if your 10.0.0.0 network is translated to 172.16.0.0 network. coz, you will be translating to 172.16.0.0 network. If you have explicity allowed the 10.0.0.0 network , to pass through pix, then you need to give ip route command on the internet router.

Hope this helps

-Deepu

Views
Helpful
Replies