Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Still 2 question remaining...

Hi,

I'm a bit of a noob here. I've figured out a lot of what I need to do to configure my PIX 515, in fact I'm better with the commend line than with the PDM, but I'm learning.

I needed to setup VPN through my PIX and was able to get it setup and working using the wizard in PDM, but there is still one problem and one more thing I need to do. I hope you guys can help me out...

1. I seem to be unable to login to a couple of servers on the inside part of my network. I can see my file servers and other hosts with sharing turned on, but I can't connect to the my webserver that is hosting my time tracking program and I can't get to my mail server running FirstClass a proprietary client/server mail solution. I can't get to either using the host name or the IP address. Any ideas?

2. The way the the VPN is set up now, all it takes is the one authentication name and password. I want to be able to be able to assign specific user names and passwords for each user that needs to login. Can I do this on the PIX using the PDM or command line, or do I need an additional authentication server? I'm running a network that's primarily Macintosh with a few Xservers running Mac OS X Server if that makes any difference. I don't have OD setup yet – can I use that some way to authenticate these users if I did set it up?

Any assistance with this would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Christine

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Still 2 question remaining...

Depending on your organization's network, during a remote session users might have to log in to any or all of the following: the computer itself, an Internet provider, WebVPN, mail or file servers, or corporate applications. Users might have to authenticate in many different contexts, requiring different information, such as a unique username, password, or pincode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2284/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00803ee1cd.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps2032/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008038149d.html

Re: Still 2 question remaining...

Thanks for your response. Yes my users are required to login to various other systems when they first connect but I would like to make it more secure by making users have their own private authentication requirements to get on. This way I won't have to change the group password for everyone when someone leaves the company.

I'm still no sure why I can't get access to web servers when connected – even ones local a private to my internal network.

Thanks.

Christine

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content