Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Suggestion for VPN-setup against a Cisco 1720

Hello,

I have zero experience of CIsco equipment (as of yet.. :)) and would like to have some some advice on one item.

I have been asked by a client to set up a VPN between us and them. They have a (I quote) "Cisco router 1720 with 3DES hardware encryption engine", supporting "IKE - 3DES, SHA, group2/5, IPSEC - 3DES, SHA, group 2/5".

So, I need to purchase some router-thingie that can talk to this box. It doesn't (shouldn't) be anything fancy. As simple as possible, as long as it works. Both ends are on T1's, so no ISDN/DSL-stuff.

Maybe this is not the perfect place to ask this question, so my apologies for that, but if anyone can give me some kind of advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Niclas

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Suggestion for VPN-setup against a Cisco 1720

If you're after Cisco gear specifically, then a 1720 is probably a good low-cost option. You may or may not need a hardware encryption card, it really depends on how much traffic you're planning on pushing between these sites. It's probably a good idea to get one cause you can bet that your traffic load will always increase over time, so easier to put one in now at the beginning.

Other than that, IPSec is a standard that we conform to, so any number of low-cost routers with IPSec support should be able to build a tunnel to the 1720.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content