Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestions wanted for low-end VPN router

hbaerten
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

we're currently evaluating which device to use to terminate an ipsec vpn (3DES or AES) in remote offices just for one citrix session, so very low-bandwidth. One constraint is that we require out of band management.

My first thought was the 831 or 836 (used as router-on-a-stick). I prefer the 836 since it has a builtin isdn port whereas the 831 would need an external TA on the console port (virtual aux).

But then I looked at the SOHO series and it seems the SOHO 91 and 96 are pretty close in specs to the 831/836. The only differences I see are

- no 3DES hardware (but given the low bandwidth this does not seem like much of a problem)

- no AES support (idem)

- less flash (if the IOS fits, who cares?)

- flash and DRAM are not upgradeable (idem)

If this is right (or please correct me if I'm wrong), i think we'd choose the 91 (again with external TA) or the 96.

Or are there other things to consider when comparing the soho with the 800 series?

E.g. do they have the same processor, or in other words would 3DES performance in software be the same? Are there any performance figures available?

Of course suggestions for other alternatives are also welcome.

tia

Herbert

3 Replies 3

benhur.p
Level 1
Level 1

I think 91/96 is gud choice.

homesiteins
Level 1
Level 1

I would go with the 800 series. Cisco recommends SOHO for office up to only 5 users (home office).

Here is a comparison for you.

http://www.cisco.com/asiapac/channels/files/SOHO90_Cisco830_QA.pdf

MK

Thanks for the link, it contains a number of things I was looking for.

But why would you go with the 800 series if the SOHO is recommended for up to 5 users, and I only have one (maybe two) users?

thanks

Herbert