Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog problem with TCP port in PIX

wongsusanto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Did someone ever encounter PIX problem when the pix configured for the syslog server with tcp port ?

I encountered this problem when I configured the pix for syslog server with tcp port..the command is logging host <in_if> <host_ip> [tcp/port_number].

Actually there is no problem when the syslog server was up. But when I shut down the server..the pix suddenly can not route packet from inside to outside..but if I did pinging from pix to outside and inside are ok..only if I pinged from inside network, servers which are in inside network, the packets are stopped at pix. the pix image version is 5.1(2). is there any bugs on that version ??

I will really appreciate if some one can helps...

thanks and regards

2 Replies 2

r-simpson
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, we ran into this awhile back. We ended up switching back to a UDP logging host but I would guess Cisco fixed this in newer versions.

I got this from this URL: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/pixsyslog.html

In PIX Software versions 4.3.X and later, you can also do TCP syslog. PFSS supports this; most other syslog servers do not support it without reconfiguration. The command to enable PIX to do PFSS TCP logging is:

logging host #.#.#.# tcp 1740

Note: Because this traffic is TCP (that is, with acknowledgments), if the PFSS goes down, traffic through the PIX will stop; for that reason, the tcp syslog command should not be implemented unless you need this kind of functionality! UDP/514 syslogging does not have this effect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: