Views
Helpful
Replies

TACACS+

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

I wanted to know can someone tell me what is needed to get TACACS+ installed for my network.

They at one time used RADIUS but the server nolonger works so they want to move to something

different. I've never installed a TACACS server before so i wanted to know what would it take as

for as money,software etc. to get this done within the next month, thanks in advance and have a

great day.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

That sounds about right. Only addition to this I can add is that there are two flavors of ACS for you to choose from. One that runs on Windows, and the other as an appliance. Appliance based ACS comes in two flavors too. One running on Windows (ACS 4.x) and one running on Linux (ACS 5.x)

If TACACS is all you're looking to do, ACS 4.x would suit you well.

HTH,

Faisal

View solution in original post

That sounds right.

You purchase the ACS server software package, run it on a server (Windows in that case).

Then you have your devices (routers, ASAs, firewalls, switches etc) to talk to the TACACS to authenticate/authorize/account.

Please rate helpfule posts.

Rgs,

PK

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Faisal Sehbai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You need a TACACS+ server. Cisco offers ACS for this.

You'll also need to setup your devices to talk TACACS+ to this server. This setup will depend on what device it is.

If you have a Cisco account team, talk to them and they'll be the most help, but in short, you'll need at least a TACACS+ server.

HTH,

Faisal

I just finished chatting online with a cisco rep and he to told me that i would need to purchase the TACACS+ software and that i would need to install it on a windows server box and then configure the routers and switches and what ever else that needs to talk to it.Does this sound right to you and if not what is the correct approach to the situation.

Hi,

That sounds about right. Only addition to this I can add is that there are two flavors of ACS for you to choose from. One that runs on Windows, and the other as an appliance. Appliance based ACS comes in two flavors too. One running on Windows (ACS 4.x) and one running on Linux (ACS 5.x)

If TACACS is all you're looking to do, ACS 4.x would suit you well.

HTH,

Faisal

Thanks alot  for all your help you guys are really a great asset to the Cisco community

That sounds right.

You purchase the ACS server software package, run it on a server (Windows in that case).

Then you have your devices (routers, ASAs, firewalls, switches etc) to talk to the TACACS to authenticate/authorize/account.

Please rate helpfule posts.

Rgs,

PK

it' goes without saying, you guys are the best