cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet from server to server on same subnet

john-guy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a segment off a PIX firewall that will not allow telnet between two servers. Both servers are on the same segment, they can ping each other but are not able to telnet to each other. Since both servers are on the same subnet the PIX is not involved, correct?? Does a PIX control traffic originating from the same segment? Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

johturner
Level 1
Level 1

Check the subnet mask on btoh systems.

Check the arp cache then compare MAC addresses, make sure that the system responding to the ping is the system you think it is, i.e. another system configured with a duplicate ip address.

DHCP environment??

creative IP address management???

If its unix is inetd running can you get to other services on the system.

ps -ef|grep inetd

are you in a switched environment?

Good luck

For some reason when I ping from one unix server to another unix server which is on the same subnet/dmz1 the PIX responses with its mac address. So when I ping from S1 to S2 and then do a arp -a S1 or S2, the server has the mac address of the PIX. Since they are on the same subnet which is off a PIX shouldn't the mac of the server and not the PIX resolve? It appears that the traffic is entering the PIX and then returning to its subnet??? Yes its a switches environment.

mhussein
Level 4
Level 4

Try disabling arp-proxy on the PIX interface:

"sysopt noproxyarp (interface name)"

then clear the arp cache.

Note that doing so might disrupt normal operations on all interfaces, so ...

Regards ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: