cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

telnet port 80

otnj2ee
Level 1
Level 1

Try to telnet a web server located in a LAN: telnet 192.168.1.2 80 but it failed.

I tried this even on the server itself, i.e., on the server, telnet 192.168.1.2 80 and it still failed.

What is wrong and how to resolve it?

Thanks to help.

Scott

4 Replies 4

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

fails to telnet to port 80 on the server itself means that the www services is not functioning correctly.

Thanks for the reply. First, there is no web site running yet. Second I issued the: telnet 192.168.1.2 80 on the same machine (not from a different PC). The message reads: "Could not open connection to the host, on port 80, connect failed."

But when I tried:telnet 192.168.1.2 5560 (which is port to access the database's isqlplus), the response is a new blank screen with nothing on it (at least it does not display any error message).

No clue why can not connect to the port 80 even on the same machine?

Thanks to help

Scott

which of web service are you using (Apache, IIS), (Which Platform), try to ensure that configurations of them are correct and they are running correctly. try to read the logs to find problems. seems like you have no started services which are running on tcp 80 like apache, iis.

providing there is no website running yet, nor is there any sort of web services running, the command "telnet 192.168.1.2 80" would yield an error as the computer is not listening to that particular port number.

alternatively, the command "telnet 192.168.1.2 5560" yields a blank screen means that the server is running a service on port 5560 and it's functioning (at least the network connectivity is there).