cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet to a PIX console from the outside

gbloise
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to remotely manage a PIX from a network in the Internet. According to Cisco, I can achieve this by IPSec and this is where I get confused. My idea is to create a user-to-site IPSec tunnel between my laptop to the PIX, get an IP address from inside and then telnet the PIX inside interface's IP address.

Is this the solution, or am I completely mistaken? If the latter, what would be the correct way to do it?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

dancho
Level 1
Level 1

In the beginning,

the command to use telnet on PIX is:

pixfirewall(config)#telnet local_ip [network]

if you see I wrote local_ip, for two main reasons:

1)only localhosts can access it

2)the reason that there is no external access is , beacause if can't block its own connections why it's firewall ?

The solution you choose is too complex.

You can do the easiest one.You initied session with local server and configure it to redirect it to PIX.

You can use your own software, or standart OS RMTAC functions.

Peacefully,

Dancho

Can you not use SSH on the outside interface?

instead of

pix(config)# telnet 12.12.12.12 255.255.255.255

Use

pix(config)# ssh 12.12.12.12 255.255.255.255 outside

Just for completeness... to setup SSH (assuming your PIX OS supports it) do the following:

Configure hostname:

pix(config)#hostname PIX-01

Configure domain-name:

PIX-01(config)#domain-name domain.com

Generate RSA keys:

PIX-01(config)#ca gen rsa key 1024

Save your keys to NVRAM:

PIX-01(config)#ca save all

Allow outside access:

PIX-01(config)#ssh 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 outside

Done.

sguerrero
Level 1
Level 1

Another solution is to enable DES, and open an SSH conection. You can connect with a public address from outside this way. Your solution is also OK, but I still recomend SSH connections instead of using telnet. you should need version 6 or greater to enable SSH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card