Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Terminal services blocked

I have terminal services runnig at a small office for remote access. It had been working for a year or so and now it does not. Users in the office can make a connection while remote users cannot. I can ping the ip address remotely but cannot telnet via port 3389. Termsrv is listening on all interfaces locally. Is there a way the I can determine exactly where the communication stopps or is blocked?

4 REPLIES

Re: Terminal services blocked

You could you use a protocol analyser to capture the packets before and then behind the PIX.

Terminal services doesn't use telnet to communicate it uses the RDP protocol. You can set up debugging on the outside interface of your firewall to see where the request to the terminal server is getting stopped. I would say the something has changed in the configuration of what ever it is that you have between the terminal server and your remote clients.

I am aware that ts uses rdp but microsoft claims that telnet on 3389 should connect and then disconnect to test the connection. I am going to try the protocol analizer from a remote site. If I get nowhere with that I try the debugging.

Thank You

MS TS does use RDP to communicate and run sessions, but it also does accept telnet connections to test for connectivity to the server.

Make sure you have name/IP resolution the server(s) in question. If you have a PIX or other Firewall device between you and the server(s) make sure that it is properly accepting requests on the port you designated 3389 or other if you changed it.

If you were using the Remote Web Connection (ActiveX Terminal Client) make sure you have the updated client installed on the website.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content