cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP'ing config files from PIX 515 to another 515

dturner
Level 1
Level 1

Just getting into Cisco and one of my first projects is to switch out a PIX 515 and replace it with another 515. I have a TFTP server and understand that I need to copy the config from the existing PIX down and then transfer that config up to the replacement.

My question. Everytime I use the 'tftp-server' command and specify the IP of the tftp server I get "Type help or '?' for a list of available commands" as if the command is not correct.

Anyone who can help?

8 Replies 8

jdepies
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure you are in config mode:

PIX# config t

PIX (Config)#

now type your commands

That worked, I thank you.

Now that I have a copy of the config file do I need to write memory to resave the current config to the existing PIX?

write m only if you made changes that you want to save

Ok.

How would I get that file that resides on the TFTP server transfered to the new PIX that will soon replace the faulty one?

Your help would be appreciated.

You will not be able to send a config file from the tftp server to the PIX. The best way to get the other pix to be configured exactly the same, is to copy and paste the config onto it. Use notepad or wordpad to open up the config file on your tftp server, then copy and past the config to your console/telnet window and you will be all good to go.

Jeff

Copy from notepad

config net:

then paste it in, then write memory

On the right track or no?

That is one way to do it, but I was always more confortable copying the config directly into the pix. So telnet into your unit, get to config mode, and then paste all the commands into the pix, all at once. The config net command will work, but if there are any differences in IOS version, commands overlapping, and encryption activation keys, you might run into problems.

Hope this help

Jeff

f-mulder
Level 1
Level 1

In configuration mode type tftp-server if_name ip_address

example tftp-server inside 192.168.0.1 config

With write net you are copying the config file to your tftp server.

After replacment de setup will be prompted, get through the setup up and than perform a configure net after the commond tftp-server

The command configure net will let you copy the config file back to your PIX.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card