Views
Helpful
Replies

tftp question

bhhouston
Level 1
Level 1

PIX ver 6.3(3)

I am having trouble writing a config file to my tftp server.

I have tftp running on a laptop and it is set up in my PIX as:

tftp-server inside x.x.x.x c:\tftp

When I try a "write net" command, I get an "access violation" error on the console and a "the directory name is invalid" in the tftp log.

Any ideas on how to resolve my problem would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jstrine
Level 1
Level 1

1) Make sure that the destination file exists (I assume "tftp" in your case).

2) Make sure the directory and the file have the correct permissions. Usually world/everyone write permissions will do the trick.

3) The "tftp-server" command specifies the path as sent to the tftp server, so you probably only need /tftp or just tftp. Simply make sure your tftp server is set to use c:\ as the root.

Better yet, create a directory (e.g., c:\tftproot) which you can use as the root for the tftp server. Then create your file to which you want to the config saved (e.g., my-fw.cfg). Set the permissions on the file/directory. Issue "tftp-server inside x.x.x.x /my-fw.cfg" then "write net".

Let us know if that works or doesn't.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jstrine
Level 1
Level 1

1) Make sure that the destination file exists (I assume "tftp" in your case).

2) Make sure the directory and the file have the correct permissions. Usually world/everyone write permissions will do the trick.

3) The "tftp-server" command specifies the path as sent to the tftp server, so you probably only need /tftp or just tftp. Simply make sure your tftp server is set to use c:\ as the root.

Better yet, create a directory (e.g., c:\tftproot) which you can use as the root for the tftp server. Then create your file to which you want to the config saved (e.g., my-fw.cfg). Set the permissions on the file/directory. Issue "tftp-server inside x.x.x.x /my-fw.cfg" then "write net".

Let us know if that works or doesn't.

Because of my original "directory name is invalid" error, I was pretty sure this was just a syntax issue and your reply helped me think it through. Thanks.

Everyone permission was not necessary as Administrator was sufficient.

My tftp server (Tftpd32) has "Allow '\' as virtual root" unchecked by default. I checked it.

I then issued the command: tftp-server inside x.x.x.x \pix-config (pix-config is the name of my cfg file)

After that, a write net command was successful.

Again, thanks. I was close but with your help, I finally stumbled across the correct syntax.

Ben

flopez
Level 1
Level 1

I don't even use the tftp-server command. Just do a:

write net tftp_IP_address:filename

Make sure the laptop does not have a firewall blocking TFTP port 69.

Good luck.