Views
Helpful
Replies

tftp upgrade failure from monitor prompt on pix515

dave.thornton
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to upgrade the Activation keys on PIX 515 V6.1

To do this I am trying to upgrade the image via the tftp from monitor.

I have set addr/file/gate/server etc

When I try the tftp the tftp server sees the attempts but fails to send any bytes; retrying and eventually aborting

The PIX reports the usual lines of dots .........so it is 'trying' to upgrade.

Strangely if the pix is rebooted to a full running version; I am able to upgrade it SUCCESFULLY using copy tftp and the same tftp server/files etc

(but this does not allow the new activation key to be entered!!)

Any ideas please?

6 Replies 6

jekrauss
Level 1
Level 1

I would suggest:

1) when in rommon mode, ensure that you can ping the tftp server from the pix

2) check the duplex settings on the pix /try connecting from a different host (i.e. another laptop) some laptops have a problem autonegotiating the duplex settings

3) try a different tftp server (despite the fact that it works when you're not in rommon mode).

HTH

Jeff

I have the same problem.

I followed your suggestions but I receive always this error from the PIX:

TFTP failed (return:-12 arg:0x0)

I haven't find this error in the table of TFTP Error Code Numeric Values.

How can I resolve thi issue?

Thanks

Lorenzo

I have had similar problems when I used any other TFTP server than the Cisco provided one. Which TFTP server are you using?

I have tried both with Cisco TFTP server both with others like 3COM...

Every time that tries again the download gets worse.

What do you suggest me to do?

Thanks

Lorenzo

I have had this problem on V6 also. The only way I have been sucessfull is to use a cross over cable pulled directly into one of the ethernet ports on the pix and then use a define and ip for the pix with the tftp server being the next ip (i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 where if 192.168.0.2 is the tftp server i also define the gateway as the same address as the tftp server. It all works then, while I agree this should not be the way to do it. It works everytime this way.

Most likely what is happening is the device that the PIX is plugged into is hard-coded for the speed and duplex. The problem with this is when the PIX is in monitor mode, it will only autonegotiate the speed/duplex. Thus, if the other end is hard-coded for Full duplex, the PIX will end up in Half-Duplex (because the other side won't negotiate) and you will have a duplex mismatch. This will cause packets to drop and TFTP won't recover.

This is probably why the cross-over cable suggestion previously worked.

Try hard-coding the other side to half duplex or just plug a PC directly into the PIX with a crossover cable so both devices will autonegotiate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: