Level 1

Has anyone seen a problem like this:

netrangr2(config)# upgrade ftp:

User: root

Server's IP Address: x.x.x.x

Port[21]:

File name: IDS-K9-min-4.1-1-S47.rpm.pkg

Password: ********

Warning: Executing this command will apply a minor version upgrade to the application partition. The system may be rebooted to complete the upgrade.

Continue with upgrade? : yes

Error: exp timeout

7 Replies 7

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

Just to throw this out there, I remember seeing this error a few times and it has always been because either 1) The FTP server I was using either was not in passive mode or didn't even have passive mode to begin with. 2) The FTP server was not configured correctly. Have you used this FTP server succesfully in the past to update the sensor? If not, verify passive mode and then try another FTP program. Verify network connectivity between the server and sensor as well. It's getting late here so I can't think of anything else. Time to hit that sack. Anyone else?

chloi
Level 1
Level 1

agree with travis... i have this kinda error before... I solve it by setting the directory and file permission on my ftp server.

rchiniakov
Level 1
Level 1

1) The problem that FTP method of upgrade is not working have referred at the software center ids software download area.

2) I faced this by myself with IDS-4210 and both 4.0 and 4.1 sofware- doesn't matter whether I upgrade code or signatures or recovery partition image

3) Workaround-

a) use other protocol to transfer files - I used HTTP in demo environment, in production let's go with scp or htts.

b) use IDS MC 1.1.1 or 1.2 - it lets you make combined upgrade of both service packs and sig updates for the MC code and sensor appliance in one step thru GUI securely using ssh in background.

Note you will be unable to upg recovery partition this way.

I had the same experience. FTP would not work. Finally, I tried SCP and that worked.

hewryf
Level 1
Level 1

i had this same problem when using Terrapin FTP server and i used Microsoft FTP and it worked fine. In the Device manager manual for version 3.1 there is a list of supported ftp web servers too.

egermany
Level 1
Level 1

2 things I've encountered on this:

Don't use anonymous login

Don't use MS FTP Server

milanod
Level 1
Level 1

Here's my secret:

Serv-u ftp server works great. Already in passive mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: