cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TNS Redirect - NAT

jayasimhat
Level 1
Level 1

I am using cisco router to perform NAT between my private and customer network. Customer needs to connect to my oracle server on my private network.

I use ip nat inside source static to translate my private IP to a public IP customer can access. Customer is able to ping, access other apps like ftp, http..etc but when he tries to connect to oracle it fails.

Sniffer log on the customer client shows TNS redirect to my local IP address.

I appreciate if anyone could help me with this.

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Oracle server is including the actual IP address in the data portion of the packet, not sure if this can be resolved. I Google'd a bit and found the following:

---------------------------------------

The Management Server and Intelligent Agent cannot be separated by firewalls using NAT because the Management Server and Agent communication includes the other's host address information, which is stored in the data packet rather than in the IP header. Since NAT only looks for (and translates) addresses in the IP header, NAT will not work with Management Server/Agent communication.

-----------------------------------------------

This is from here: http://otn.oracle.com/products/oem/pdf/Firewall&VPN9i.pdf

Not sure what type of Oracle application you're using here, but to fix it you'd need something on the server itself that allows you to enter a NAT address in, not sure if Oracle has anything like this though. You might want to try checking around a bit more on Oracle's web site.

Hi, Thanks for your message.

I suspected oracle server problem too. We figured one of the Registry settings on the oracle server on tcp socket. Instead of using dynamic socket we used static socket and it seems to be working now.

When using dynamic socket, the server seems to send TNS redirect with both IP and port details to the client. which NAT is missing.

It is now working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: