Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Tracking down past xlate connections

Hi folks, I'm new to the PIX world, and got my first query from an outside entity as to "bad" things coming from my network. We're a College, and students will be students. Anyway, I was asked to track down an IP address that was being used during a certain date and time, and to give that user a heads up that his/her activities weren't welcome. The problem is, I don't know how to look up that info on the PIX (I don't even know if its being logged). Anyone have any quick tips that would help me either track down this info or set up logging for the next time this happens?

TIA,

Tom

2 REPLIES

Re: Tracking down past xlate connections

If you weren't logging to a syslog server, then it is probably to late to do any investigation into this particular event. Check out the Top Issues page for the PIX on CCO. This will give you some good tips and, as you needed in this situation, show you how to set up a syslog server.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/110/top_issues/pix/pix_index.shtml

thanks

chris

Re: Tracking down past xlate connections

Setting up a syslog server is the very first step that you should do. After that, get with the requestor and ask them to watch for the perp again when you've got it running.

After you look at the log, you'll notice that it is *very* detailed. Also watch out for log file size. Depending on how you configure your syslog facility, if you run out of disk space, the PIX may stop forwarding traffic because of it.

Views
Helpful
Replies