cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

translating ip address without dns

Jim.Kiddoo
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to route clients behind the firewall to another server on the same interface, so what that means is when they look for 55.55.192.70 i want them to go to 10.0.1.70 on that same interface. I can do this fine with DNS doctoring but I have clients who connect to vpn through ip address instead of name. Is there a way to force that request to another machine, when they don't use dns?

Thanks

Jim Kiddoo

1 Reply 1

tvanginneken
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

instead of using the 'alias' command for 'DNS Doctoring', you could try using the 'alias' command for 'destination nat translation'.

If have tried this from the inside to the dmz, but I am not sure it will work for inbound traffic encrypted traffic. Please try this command:

alias(outside) 55.55.192.70 10.0.1.70 255.255.255.255

I am absolutely not sure it will work, but it is worth a try. This command replaces the destination ip address of packets going to 55.55.192.70. The destination address is replaced with 10.0.1.70 when the packets go through the pix.

More info on this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/alias.html

Isn't there a way for the VPN clients to connect directly to 10.0.1.70? Maybe you can setup an internal dns server that links the server's dns name to it's 10.0.1.70 address. That way the vpn clients can use this internal dns server.

Kind Regards,

Tom