Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Tunnel Encryption/Compression Performance

This may not actually be appropriate for this forum, but hey - I'll post it anyway :)

As anyone done performance testing on Win2K Terminal Server sessions through an encrypted/compressed VPN?

i.e. Suppose we connect to a 'secure' inside PPTP VPN server and establish an encrypted(MPPE128)/compressed(MPPC) tunnel. Is the MPPC compression ratio impacted by the application layer encryption that can be applied between the Terminal Services client and the Win2K Terminal server? I would suspect that if LAN security is not an issue (no packet sniffing, etc.. on the LAN side) then it would make sense to TURN OFF Terminal Services encryption (an possibly even compression) to ensure that the VPN MPPC has a less random stream of data to compress (hence possibly providing better performance through the tunnel) I know there are many variables in this - how well MPPC in the tunnel compresses 'general data' vs. how well Terminal Services may tokenize and compress its application stream data, etc... Just a thought.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content