Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Tunnel Initialization

I have a PIX 515 and VPN3015 site-to-site tunnel setup. I was told by a Cisco tech. that I have to ping the other end of the tunnel in order for the tunel to be estashblished. If either my PIX or VPN concentrator are rebooted does the ping have to occur each time. I would expect the tunnel to re-establish automatically since if it is the middle of the night I don't want to have to login and run ping.

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Tunnel Initialization

tunnels should reestablish automatically provided there is traffic that will force the devices to negotiate them.

there is a risk if one device is rebooted, that the other will think its side of the tunnel is still up for awhile. this can occur if the data limit and key lifetimes are high (if these settings are high, then the devices do not renegotiate these settings all that often). if you expect to have unstable devices, you may want to reduce these values

Views
Helpful
Replies