cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to browse internet when connected through VPN

ratedpg
Level 1
Level 1

We are using a vpn 3000 concentrator and a pix firewall. When i enable a vpn session I am unable to browse the internet. If not connected through vpn, internet browsing works fine. Will greatly appreciate any inputs. Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

wolfrikk
Level 3
Level 3

How are the VPN clients receiving their IP Address information? Also, are they getting a configuration with DNS Servers? Once the VPN connection is made, the clients use the VPN for all traffic, so if they cannot resolve DNS names, you will not be able to access internet resources by name.

the clients are receiving their IPs from address pool. I have specified the DNS information as well. I thought the problem was with DNS as well but I tried accessing resources by IP but that doens't work either. Thanks for the response.

Are the VPN clients having any problems accessing any network resources? Also, I would try doing a traceroute from the client with the VPN connection enabled. Traceroute by DNS Name. This way we can see if the client is getting name resolution and how far it is getting with it's IP connection.

VPN clients access the network resources without any problem. The clients are able to resolve DNS name without any problems. Thanks

Are there any other routers with ACL's or Firewalls in the path to the internet? Can you traceroute or ping any internet resources from the VPN Clients? There may be something blocking the VPN Clients traffic off of the network?

There is a pix firewall. Would I have to specify an ACL to be able to route traffic outside the network. Thank you for helping me with this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: