Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unable to communicate with local resources and VPN connects

I am running into this issue more and more lately and I am not sure where the issue lies.

I have a bunch of remote offices that are setup as workgroups. Each pc in that workgroup runs the VPN client to conenct back to us for certain resources.

Every so often a pc will not be able to communicate by TCP/ip to other pc's in it's workgroup. They can't ping others (by IP address) or be pinged. Most of the time we have to uninstall the VPN client and reinstall it to regain IP connectivity. Sometimes just stopping the VPN cleint and rebooting will take care of it.

Has anyone else ran accross this. I am not sure if it is the version of cleint I am on (3.61), windows 2000, or the network driver.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Unable to communicate with local resources and VPN connects

I feel that once the client is able to establish the VPN tunnel, the sucess or failure of the communication over the tunnel depends on the upper layers. In other words, you need to look at the OS on your PC's. One document that will help you is "Troubleshooting Microsoft Network Neighborhood After Establishing a VPN Tunnel With the Cisco VPN Client" http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn-net-hood.html

Re: Unable to communicate with local resources and VPN connects

On some of the newer VPN clients there is the option in the menu to enable "Statefull firewall".

This essentially is a personal firewall for the client. Once enabled you will not be able to ping the client.

Views
Helpful
Replies