Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

unable to create exec: not enough memory or too many processes

Yesterday we started getting the following error when trying to dial in: Unable to create exec: not enough memory or too many processes. Also we are unable to telnet into the router, we have a 2511 series router and 2509 series router. If I remove the serial cable coming from the csu/dsu and plug it back in, it starts working for a few minutes, then it starts with the same problems. Obviously someone is trying to bring it down. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this problems, if so what needs to be done?

4 REPLIES

Re: unable to create exec: not enough memory or too many process

Can you check your "show process cpu" and "show process mem" and post the header of each output?

here are the headers

show process mem

Total: 3682464, Used: 3603040, Free: 79424

show process cpu

CPU utilization for five seconds: 84%/22%; one minute: 47%; five minutes: 47%

You are running very low in memory.

Seems you only have 4M DRAM installed on this rotuer, what IOS version are you running?

I don't think there is anyoen trying to attack you or anything, a cisco router nowadays with only 4MB doesn't need anyone to attack it, all you need to have is some high traffic processed by the router to crash it.

Fromt he CPU utilization you posted, I would assume that you have already considerable traffic running on the router, to double check, look for the process "IP Input" in the output of "show proc cpu".

You may really need to consider upgrading your memory. 2511 can take up to 16M DRAM, you can get the SIMM somewhere around $20 including shipping from eBay.

If you plan to get one and don't know how to upgrade, let me know, I can help you in that as well, it is very straight forward.

Meanwhile, the only thing you can do is to take some traffic off your router or consider revisiting your configuration to take off any unnecessary configuration or access-lists you may have there. This may significantly help you reduce memory load on the router.

Silver

you are gettin hit with a virus , look for the interface that has a high load and turn on ip accounting and ip route-cache flow .

the output of these commands

sh ip accounting

sh ip cache flow

will show you the infected hosts

good luck

Views
Helpful
Replies