cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to recover password on PIX 501 - TFTP failed (return:-1 arg:0x0)

sergio.ricci
Level 1
Level 1

During an office merger we recovered a PIX 501. It's obviously been configured but nobody anywhere knows anything about it and there's no documentation with regards to config to be found. As a result I've tried to recover the password so that we can reconfigure it and reuse it for our purposes. I've followed the instructions on the cisco.com web site but keep getting the error message:

TFTP failed (return:-1 arg:0x0)

I've tested connectivity from the PIX to the TFTP server and it works. I can post a captured txt file if it's of any help.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or more importantly how to resolve it so that I can recover the password. Admittedly it's the first time i've worked on a PIX.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sergio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergio,

Depends on when did you receive the pix. I would try with 6.1 and 6.2 code. Thanks,

Mynul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mhoda
Level 5
Level 5

Sergio,

My suggestion would be to use a differnet inteface on the PIX (for instance if you were using inside, try using the outside interface in the ROMMON). Also, you mayt try with another TFTP server to see if that helps. Is the log you got from the TFTP server log or from the PIX?

Regards,

Mynul

Mynul,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I've tried both interfaces (int 0 & 1) with the same result. The log is from the PIX although on the TFTP server I did see something along the lines of 'Timeout'.

I will certainly try a different TFTP server and post back on the result.

While I'm on the subject, could you tell me how to determine which 'software' version I am running on the PIX? The documention on the cisco web site with regards to recovery of the password states and provide links to various .bin files for the different versions. On bootup, the PIX makes refernce to a BIOS version 4.3 and then slightly later to something 'similar' but version 6.2 (I think.....it's all coming off the top of my head at the moment as I'm at home). What line should I be looking for specifically to determine the version and hence the correct bin file to use?

Once again thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

Sergio

Sergio,

Depends on when did you receive the pix. I would try with 6.1 and 6.2 code. Thanks,

Mynul

Mynul,

The 6.1 code did the trick although I could swear that I actually tried it before posting originally. I basically worked on the theory that it was a fairly new unit and so started with the 6.3 code and worked backwards. Maybe in my haste I missed the 6.1 code??

Anyway, thanks again for your help and time.

Kind regards,

Sergio

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card