Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

upgrade pix software

i'd like to upgrade my pix 515 from 4.2 to 5.3 . How do i do that and how can i obtain an activation key. Thankx

4 REPLIES

Re: upgrade pix software

1- Download the new OS from Cisco. (There is a step-by-step upgrade procedure with the new .bin file that is more detailed then what I am providing.)

2- Ensure your PIX515 has the necessary hardware (memory,etc) to handle 5.3. This info is in the readme file with 5.3.

3- Setup a TFTP server with the new 5.3bin file in it. You can download the cisco tftp server from cisco.com.

4- Backup your current config.

5- TFTP the new config to the PIX

6- Ensure the config was maintained. In most of my upgrades the config is not lost. There have been instances though where the old config is wiped out.

7- Enjoy 5.3

I did not think you could go from version 4.2 to 5.3. I was told you had to step your way up, is this not true?

You should not need a new activation key unless you want to use IPSec or other new features but if you do contact your VAR and they can help you for a Fee of course.

You can access cisco web site to get a new activated key(showed your old key first) and followed by the step-by-step process to upgrade the system

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content