Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

upgrade sensor from 3.1x to 4.1 / Management station

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade three sensors from version 3.1 to 4.1. We are currently using CSPM to manage these sensors. As far as we know, once we upgrade the sensors to 4.1, we can no longer using CSPM. Is it true ? Someone told me the best option is to manage the sensors using VMS/CiscoWorks. Can you please confirm if it is the best option. What other options I will have ?

(2) If we really go for the VMS/CiscoWorks, can we run it on a Solaris 8/INTEL hardware. Or we must run it on the Sun Ultrasparc hardware ? Or no difference ? Thanks.

ne of the options we have

1 REPLY

Re: upgrade sensor from 3.1x to 4.1 / Management station

As far as we know, once we upgrade the sensors to 4.1, we can no longer using CSPM. Is it true?

A - Yes, that is true. CSPM will not support the 4.X sensors.

Someone told me the best option is to manage the sensors using VMS/CiscoWorks. Can you please confirm if it is the best option. What other options I will have?

A - Hard to say which will be the best option for you. You have essentially two options for management of the sensor and alarms. VMS (IDS Management Center and Security Monitor) or IDS Device Manager (IDM) and IDS Event Viewer (IEV). IDM/IEV are free with IDS 4.X code. IDM is a web based gui running directly on the sensor whereas IEV is a stand-alone app running on a Windows machine on your network. My usual advice is if you have 3 or fewer IDS sensors, IDM and IEV is probably best for you. If you have more that 3 sensors, you may want to consider the purchase of VMS for simplicity sake. Disadvantages to IDM is that you can only adminiter one sensor at a time. Also, IEV has no ability to e-mail (or anything else) you based on alarms it receives.

If we really go for the VMS/CiscoWorks, can we run it on a Solaris 8/INTEL hardware. Or we must run it on the Sun Ultrasparc hardware?

A - Only on Sun UltraSparc hardware for the Solaris version.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2330/products_quick_start09186a008019ac06.html#74670\

Hope this helps.

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies