Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrading ACS 2.6 to 3.0 & NT to WIN2000

Consider an operational ACS V2.6 on NT . We want to migrate to W2000 and for this we receive a brandnew W2000 Server on which we will install ACS V3.0

Can we backup the configuration & DB from V2.6 and restore it on V3.0 ?

Or can we use DB replication ? The bottomline is that we do not want to

touch the Original NT V2.6 ACS until we are sure that we have an identical config running on the new Win2000 V3.0 ACS .

In the doc is stated that you first have to upgrade your NT system from ACS V2.6 to V3.0 while selecting 'Import the existing config' and than do a DB replication from the original NT to the new W2000 .But the customer does not want this.

3 REPLIES

Re: Upgrading ACS 2.6 to 3.0 & NT to WIN2000

I did the same operation about 2 months ago, i have about 500 user DB inside the 2.6, and i definitely don't want to manual retype all of them again, not even mention that i didn't have a hard copy. Anyway, there is a function inside the ACS, you can replicate whatever info you want from one ACS to another, you just need to set up the 3.0 and make it as slave to the 2.6, which is the master!

here is a link for all the information, the operation is quite simple!

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_soft/csacs4nt/csnt30/user/s.htm#370

hope this help

Silver

The best thing to do is install 2.6 on the new server, and replicate from the original to the new server. Then upgrade the new server to 3.0. Then do a test if all is ok on the new server.

You can not restore from non-similar ACS backups. You can not replicate from non-similar ACS. Even if you somehow find a way to get it happening, you would be alone, if things go wrong.

On the link that was mentioned, please read about important considerations.

Regards,

Hi Simon,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am a bit amazed that you can do DB replication between different ACS softw versions. In the doc Cisco states that for replication the ACS servers must run the same soft including the patch level. But if it does the job why bother !

Thanks again.

Luc De Meyer - HP

Views
Helpful
Replies