cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from Pix 6.2(2) to 7.x issues?

rolandshum
Level 1
Level 1

I'm researching how to do my upgrade and any possible problems that might arise in upgrading from Pix version 6.2(2) to a 7 series image. Has anyone encountered any sort of difficulties with this that I should look out for?

3 Replies 3

jwalker
Level 3
Level 3

I just did this same upgrade on a firewall yesterday. The only thing you may run into when going from 6.22 to 7.01 is that you may lose your config. I had to redo the interface info once I got to 7.01 to upgrade again to 7.05... Other than that, it was a breeze. I would recommend using a local TFTP server for the file transfers....

Thanks, they don't mention that in the documentation!

tq.captaris
Level 1
Level 1

watch out if you have PDM installed. Make sure you have 64MB RAM, 16MB flash. Normally after TFTP the new BIN, it would erase the old code and make room for the new BIN. But if PDM image is there, the upgrade process does not delete it and give you an error of NOT ENOUGH MEMORY ON FLASH and would go back to the old image.

I got stuck but found that if you break the boot process and go to the MONITOR mode, you can boot from TFTP. After booting from TFTP and run in memory only, the new BIN will let you delele the image in flash.

Please note that there is no "erase or delete flash" in the old code.

tq

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card