Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Upgrading Pix515E from 6.3 to 7.0

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my PIX515E restricted license firewall from 6.3 to 7.2 firmware. I have upgraded the memory from 32MB to 96 MB.

I am using monitor mode to perform the upgrade. I had assigned the following in monitor mode

monitor>interface 1

monitor>address 192.168.200.1 (Which is pix internal interface IP address)

monitor>server 192.168.200.25

monitor>ping 192.168.200.25

Successful ping

monitor>file pix721.bin

monitor>tftp

After this pix hangs up. I waited for more than 25 mins and the pix is unable to load the image from tftp server.

I checked the tftp-server log messages, it says error timed-out.

I dont know, where I am going wrong. My TFTP-server is configured to both send and receive files to the pix.

Please let me know, where the problem lies

6 REPLIES

Re: Upgrading Pix515E from 6.3 to 7.0

can you not TFTP from OS level (i.e. after booting up)?

Community Member

I heard that when PDM is installed the better solution would be to perform the upgrade from MOnitor mode.

This is the error I am getting when I enter esc from hanged up monitor mode

tftp failed(return:-12 arg:0x0)

Yes, if you are upgrading from a PIX 515 or a PIX 535 with PDM already installed, you must upgrade from monitor mode.

Which TFTP server are you using? I use 3cdaemon.

Community Member

I am using Solar winds TFTP server. I did find one thing, I am unable to ping the PIX from my laptop when it is in monitor mode .

But I am able to ping the laptop from pix in monitor mode. could this be causing the problem for TFTP server to not recognise PIX device

Bronze

Hi there,

Please upgrade your PIX to version 7.0 first and then upgrade it to version 7.2, I think there is a big just to upgrade directly from 6.3 to 7.2...

Also make sure you get rid of all the unsupported commands and replace them with the supported ones, e.g. remove the conduit + outbound and replace them with access-lists

Please check why can you not ping! did you ping after you assigned the IP address? can you ping from the PIX to the PC but the other way around? do you have a personal Firewall? or do you have any VPN services running? or do you have CSA installed on you client?

I hope this is helpful, please rate if it is

Osama

Community Member

I have checked for conduits. I dont have conduits in my config file

I just dont understand, I am unable to ping the pix from my laptop during monitor mode, even after assigning IP address to the interface. but my pix is able to ping the laptop in monitor mode

I am able to ping the pix from laptop, when pix loads from flash.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content