cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading sensor to 4.1.(1) S47 from Recovery CD

mbrustman
Level 1
Level 1

I am having difficulty upgrading my sensor using the recovery CD. After reboot with CD I select the s option and see it loading the images onto the hard drive with a series of CCCCCCC's then it just seems to hang not responding to any keyboard input and does not prompt for any further action. I have rebooted after waiting for an hour with the cd in and without to no avail?

My Question...do I have a bad CD? bad System? bad Memory? How long must one wait during the upgrade process? and how does one know that the reimage has completed or has been succesful?

I have a 4210 that I upgraded the memory to 512MB as received from Cisco on this unit. This unit was not utilized prior to this.

Any help is appreciated.

5 Replies 5

rwassom
Level 1
Level 1

Are you connecting to the sensor using a serial connection, or with a keyboard/monitor? What version of the Upgrade/Recovery CD are you using? The behavior you describe does not sound like that of the 4.1(1)S47 CD, but rather an earlier 3.x CD.

If you are using the "s" option, you should be connected to the sensor through the serial port (via a laptop or terminal server). Can you capture the output to the screen so we can take a look at what you're seeing?

Thanks,

Rusty

I am connected through the serial port and using the recovery cd that states on the label 4.1 (1) 27.

Here is what I see after booting up with this cd and using the "s" option. This has now happened on two IDS 4210's with memory upgrades to 512MB.

SYSLINUX 1.52 2001-02-07 Copyright (C) 1994-2001 H. Peter Anvin

Cisco IDS 4.1(1) Upgrade/Recovery CD!

IDS-4210 and IDS-4220 customers:

This update requires a minimum of 512M of RAM.

Reference the 4.1 software documentation before proceeding.

IDS-4220/4230 customers:

Sniffing and Command-and-Control interfaces have been swapped in CIDS 4.0.

IDS-4235/4250 customers:

BIOS version "A04" or later is required to run CIDS 4.0 on your appliance.

- To recover the Cisco IDS 4.1 Application using a local keyboard/monitor,

type: k .

(WARNING: ALL DATA ON DISK 1 WILL BE LOST)

- To recover the Cisco IDS 4.1 Application using a serial connection,

type: s , or just press

(WARNING: ALL DATA ON DISK 1 WILL BE LOST)

boot: s

Loading initrd.img..........

Loading vmlinuz............... ready.

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€AT

And this is where it remains for more than a day and after recycling power to try again.

Thanks in advance

Mitch

Have you configured the terminal emulator software according to the directions in the Quick Start Guide?

Bits per second: 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: Hardware or RTS/CTS

Based on the output you are seeing, it sounds like your emulator software and the system lose synch with each other. This could happen if you changed the speed for the com port in BIOS and on your emulator software to run at a higher rate. The reason is that the IDS software is configured for 9600 in accordance with Cisco standards for console connectivity.

I assume the adapter and cable are correct since you are getting this far. Are you connecting through the com port on the front or rear of the system?

-rw

DOH!!!

This was the solution. I did initially connect to the com port on the front of the unit through the front grill opening. After connecting to the com port in the back I was able to see the RedHat boot sequence and low and behold the upgrade had completed from the previous attempts while connected from the front.

I ran through the upgrade again to make sure all is well. Both IDS's are upgraded and online.

I am still wondering what the com port in the front should be used for?

Thanks again for your quick suggestions on this.

Hi,

Try to hookup a keyboard and monitor to the sensor.

See if that helps.

Thanks

Nadeem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: