Views
Helpful
Replies

URL blocking

shijomon scaria
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sir,

I want to block 'orkut' in my network with websense, when i am trying with the same, 'gmail' also got blocked, how can i block 'orkut' with out affecting gamil by websense...

Thank You.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dgroscost
Level 4
Level 4

In Websense v6.3.2 (possibly earlier versions as well) you can block by URL Patterns. Simply place the word orkut in your policies to block and that should do it.

Worst case, you can use RegEX in your firewalls/routers and block it that way.

View solution in original post

Yes its better to use the pattern matching as the earlier poster described, if you do nslookup of both the google webpage and orkut, you see one very interesting thing:

> www.google.com

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: www.l.google.com

Addresses: 74.125.39.103, 74.125.39.99, 74.125.39.104, 74.125.39.147

Aliases: www.google.com

> www.orkut.com

Name: orkut.l.google.com

Address: 209.85.129.85

Aliases: www.orkut.com

Compare the two A records, both contain *.google.com. So thats why websense is thinking both to be the same, both are sub-domains of the same domain.

You could also maybe put www.google.com in a White List or something.

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dgroscost
Level 4
Level 4

In Websense v6.3.2 (possibly earlier versions as well) you can block by URL Patterns. Simply place the word orkut in your policies to block and that should do it.

Worst case, you can use RegEX in your firewalls/routers and block it that way.

Yes its better to use the pattern matching as the earlier poster described, if you do nslookup of both the google webpage and orkut, you see one very interesting thing:

> www.google.com

Name: www.l.google.com

Addresses: 74.125.39.103, 74.125.39.99, 74.125.39.104, 74.125.39.147

Aliases: www.google.com

> www.orkut.com

Name: orkut.l.google.com

Address: 209.85.129.85

Aliases: www.orkut.com

Compare the two A records, both contain *.google.com. So thats why websense is thinking both to be the same, both are sub-domains of the same domain.

You could also maybe put www.google.com in a White List or something.

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: