Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Using the "name" command with the PIX

I was looking at using the "name" command for a pix configuration I was working on for the purpose of a) making the configuration easier to read and b) making changes to an ip address easier.

I ran into this problem however and wonder if there is any workaround to it or another way of accomplishing what I am trying to do.

I have assigned names to the servers and workstations that I am using in my access-list statements. This way the access-list who be easier to read by someone who has never seen it before seeing a name rather than an ip would be more explanatory. I also want to be able to change the ip address of a workstation by just reassociating the name with a new ip address without having to change all the access-list statements that refer to that ip address.

The problem is this...

1) I assign an ip to a name

2) Create the access-list using the name instead of the ip address

3) Attempt to change the name

3a) When I try to reassign the name it tells me it is already assigned to another ip.

3b) If I do a "no name" and remove the line and then re add it with the new ip address the "name" in the access-list gets substituted with the ip that was was associated to the name.

Is there anyway to do what Im trying to accomplish?

1 REPLY

Re: Using the "name" command with the PIX

Not from the command line. However, you can use PIX Device Manager to do this.

Once inside PDM click the Hosts/Networks tab. Then highlight the host in question and click on the edit button. Change the IP address and then save the configuration to the PIX.

Now, when viewing the configuration, the name should reflect the new IP address.

Hope that helps.

~rls

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content