Views
Helpful
Replies

Using VDPN to authenticate the 515e to a DSL modem

dsingleterry
Level 1
Level 1

In reference to :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00801055dd.shtml

I have followed those instructions, and attempted to authenticate via this method to a DSL modem with the proper username and password and have been unsuccessful.

I am on ver 6.2.2 and have the following commands in my running and startup configs: (some information has been replaced with *'s due to its sensative nature)

PIX Version 6.2(2)

nameif ethernet0 outside security0

nameif ethernet1 inside security100

nameif ethernet2 intf2 security10

....... (unimportant data removed for your sanity's sake)

vpdn group pppoex request dialout pppoe

vpdn group pppoex localname ***********

vpdn group pppoex ppp authentication pap

vpdn username ********* password *********

vpdn enable outside

terminal width 80

: end

YRPCI# sho vpdn

%No active PPPoE tunnels

Am I missing something here? I don't see why it wont authenticate to the DSL modem over PPPoE. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'll assume you have the

> ip address outside pppoe setroute

command in place here, otherwise the PIX won't even try and initiate a PPPoE connection.

If it's not coming up, then we need to see the debugs that are listed in teh sample config you included. It's either an authentication issue with the username/password or with the authentication type, or the Internet connection isn't working properly.

A good way to test this is if you have any DSL software on your PC, try plugging it into this connection using the same username/password and see what error message you get.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'll assume you have the

> ip address outside pppoe setroute

command in place here, otherwise the PIX won't even try and initiate a PPPoE connection.

If it's not coming up, then we need to see the debugs that are listed in teh sample config you included. It's either an authentication issue with the username/password or with the authentication type, or the Internet connection isn't working properly.

A good way to test this is if you have any DSL software on your PC, try plugging it into this connection using the same username/password and see what error message you get.

heh...

I actually had

ip address outside x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

I was thinking I needed to give the external IP supplied by the DSL modem. My bad. I wont get to try this out till late tonight since an older router is tying up that DSL modem during the day, but thank you very much sir.

I'll post to say whether it worked or not after I give it a whirl.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: