cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Very Slow internet access, when VPN client is off

PDBratcher
Level 1
Level 1

I am acessing a secure VPN client 4.0 service, which works correctly, performance is good, tracecrt to a sample site resolves correctly, and has good return times. I am using a link sys dsl connection to at&t, windows 2000 Sp4.

When the secure client software isnt running, the internet connection is slow, and seems to drop packets. Ipconfig all seems ok, default gateway is the 192.168.1.1 of the linksys, every tracert starts with the first hop failing, almost as if it is trying some route, then going down some obscure path.

The other PC on the home lan (doesnt run the secure client) and is fine.

Any ideas?

Paul

2 Replies 2

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

Normally, the performance goes down slightly after encryption is enabled due to the extra overhead. The only possibility that I can think of is that your gateway router is using two different connections, one for IPSec traffic and another slower link for non-ipsec traffic. Guess you should check this with the administrator.

zanetta_d_clark
Level 1
Level 1

Paul,

I am having the same problem with a couple of users at our location. Did you find any more information about your problem? Are you still having the problem?

Z