cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Viewing Syslog Activity on Security Monitor

csimpson
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently receiving syslog feeds from network devices to my VMS/Security Monitor (2.2/1.2.3 respectively). It's listening on UDP 514 and forwarding to 52514 like it is supposed to. However, where can I view the syslog data that is being received (aside, of course, from looking at the actual file that is created)?

2 Replies 2

redoak
Level 1
Level 1

First you should add the devices to Sec. Mon, afterwards in the Monitor tab select Events. In the type field (for example for PIX syslogs) select PIX security summary.

Kind regards,

SIMON Janos

netspec01
Level 1
Level 1

If you are on a Windows platform you can use the syslog analysis function (in RME) or look at the syslog file directly using your favorite text editor. There is not a way to view the "live" syslog data as it hits the NMS. On UNIX, you should be able to do a "tail -f " and view live log records. I am guessing that the syslog analysis is the same on UNIX.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: