Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VLAN and Credentials

Hi,

is the following possible with Cisco products:

When a user wants to access the network via a Cisco switch, the user has to enter his username/password. Based on that username/password, the user in put in a certain VLAN. Which products are necesarry to accomplish this?

Thanks!!

Kind Regards,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: VLAN and Credentials

For authentication:

802.11x might do the trick - its a new layer 2 auth standard geared for 802.11b wireless (because of its weak security), but it can be used on wired installation too. There is xp support out of the box, and I am pretty sure ms has written a downloadable win2k component too.

at any router, you can use lock and key acls.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/iolk/tech/landk_wp.htm

I honestly am not sure if either of these can be paired with something that dynamically assigns vlans.

3 REPLIES

Interesting problem. For me I don't know of such product.. but my thinking is, "how will the workstation access the application that has the user/pass info in the first place?", Do you mean it has a temp address for example, then once the server authenticates such user, it reassigns the address back to the workstation through a DHCP or something? What about the VLAN in the switch?

You are looking on two different things, the workstation VLAN assignment on the switch, and the workstation IP address. Well, I hope someone in this forum has any information on a product that is capable of doing such.

Silver

For authentication:

802.11x might do the trick - its a new layer 2 auth standard geared for 802.11b wireless (because of its weak security), but it can be used on wired installation too. There is xp support out of the box, and I am pretty sure ms has written a downloadable win2k component too.

at any router, you can use lock and key acls.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/iolk/tech/landk_wp.htm

I honestly am not sure if either of these can be paired with something that dynamically assigns vlans.

How will lock & Key solve th eproblem? Users first will have to telnet to the router in order to authenticate, and once they do, the router will open holes of its FW for access beyond the router... how will you integrate this will VLAN assignment?

Views
Helpful
Replies