cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan transport through VPN-Router possible?

hancisco
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to manage a switch (3550-24) which is located in a branch-office, connected to a cisco836ADSL-router, which is connected to my inside-network via a pix525. All traffic is transported in a vpn-tunnel (Ipsec).

I tried to configure the uplink-port on the branch-switch as a trunk-port, but that doesn't seem to help much.

VTP-settings are all checked and ok, I use the same management-vlan as I use on the inside-network.

Should I be able to configure trunking on the router?

At this point I'm not even able to get a ping-reply from the switch.

Anybody any suggestions?

8 Replies 8

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

you won't be able to bridge a subnet across a ipsec link involving a pix. if it were ios to ios, I think you could do it.

THat said, why do you want to do it?

basicly I'd just like to be able to do switch-management from my main-office. There's a few production-systems on the branch-switch. I'd like to monitor the switchports over there, do some show-commands and things like that.

It would be nice to be able to manage this switch as if it were really part of our main-office inside network.

You should be able to manage that switch remotely by ip if it is a manageable switch. Nothing you said would really necessitate trying to bridge the same subnet across an ipsec tunnel.

The problem with trying to bridge a subnet across distances is that many network protocols are chatty (send lots of broadcasts) on a subnet. All this chatter would need to go across the the tunnel. This is all especially true with microsoft networking.

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure what you mean by "bridge a subnet" across an ipsec tunnel.

maybe I have to explain some more:

The reason for the ipsec-tunnel is that one of the clients connected to the remote-switch uses the databases from our inside-network and has to connect over an encrypted-line. So the reason for ipsec-tunneling has got nothing to do with the switchmanagement. I do want to be able to manage this switch via telnet, though. To me it's not neccesary that this happens over a secure-line, but the switch hasn't got a public ip-adress, so the only way of access is in my opinion through the already existing tunnel.

Remote I use a 192.168.12.0 network with it's own BDC and dhcp, the main-inside-network and the management vlan uses 172.48.0.0 network.

In the ADSL/VPNrouter I give up rules for encryption from the 192.168.12.0 to the 172.48.0.0 and that all works fine.

I already tried to make a rule that included the ip of the management vlan of the remote switch, so that would also be included in encryption. But that doesn't help.

Some suggestions left?

thanks.

Is the 172.48 network the management network at the main site, or the remote site?

the 172.48 network is management network for the main-site. to be precise: it's the main-network at the main-site, in which I use the 172.48.254 -range for switch-management.

I thought it would be possible to use this network just for switch-management on the remote-side as well. (hence the vlan/trunking for the uplink-port on the remote-side).

not with a pix. i would recommend that you establish a separate management vlan for the remote office, and have the switch management ip live in it. you could allow the pix to route to it. you could then create a ipsec tunnel just between the two management vlans, so that only management vlan machines in the main office can manage the remote switch

I understand your suggestion and you might be right.

I'll try this out sometime soon. (when I'm in the branch-office again).

Thanks again!