Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VMS 2.0

I have downloaded the evaluation copy and read the installation instructions. Now I have questions concerning the requirements.

Win 2K, it states not to install the sevice Packs. Does this apply to a working install or is this for eval purposes?

I plan to install the console and agent on a Win 2K IIS 5.0 server and exposing it to the WWW, to test it, any thoughts concerning this. It won't have access to anything internally, DMZ or otherwise.

3 REPLIES

Re: VMS 2.0

Hi,

I have been testing VMS 2.0 and it still requires CSPM 2.3.3i for IDS but has a 10 user license rather than teh CSPM lite that was available.

You cannot run CSPM 2.3.3i on Win2k to my knowledge and if you use CSPM 3.0 for PIX management you have to put that on another machine.

I also here there in 3.5 the sensors will have a built in PDM configuration option and there is a new IDS management tool going into beta.

Maybe I am not coming across to anyone. I already have a director, it takes care of my IDS machines already running on the network. I want to test the VMS 2.0 only

I want to use Win 2K to test this, but the install notes state in the requirements not to load SP2. My question is ...WHY?

Cisco Employee

Robert,

Most people on this Forum are only experienced with the Network IDS portion of VMS 2.0 which is CSPM 2.3.3i.

CSPM 2.3.3i only runs on Windows NT 4.0 and not Windows 2000.

(NOTE: There is a CSPM demo install option, but I wouldn't bother with it if you are interested in IDS functionality)

So I am assuming your question about SP2 on Windows 2000 must be for something other than CSPM 2.3.3i.

Which specific product with in the VMS 2.0 suite of products are you talking about?

Marco

Views
Helpful
Replies