Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VMS 2.2 NT server hotfix question

I'm in the process of installing VPN SMS 2.2. I plan to install all the code on a single server. (It's a large machine, and will support only one IDS. If performance is an issue, I can split the load later.)

In the Quick Start Guide, on page 12, in the section Securing Windows 2000, one of the bullet points is "Apply all hotfixes and patches, and says "Use the Windows update feature regularly to ensure that the most recent critical updates are applied."

This appears to be a major change in server maintenance policy for the VPN/SMS project. Is Cisco really supporting SMS on a Windows 2000 base with current maintenance?

I am a bit skeptical since VPN/SMS 2.1 would not install properly if NT SP3 were installed, and if I recall correctly, would not install properly even on the supported SP2 service level with the most current hotfixes applied. (By not install, I mean that after completing the installation, I received "authorization failure" on both the admin and guest IDs when trying to connect a local connect to the application via its web interface.)

Could someone from Cisco verify that customers are really expected to apply MS service to their NT SMS servers?

/Chris Thomas, UCLA ATS

1 REPLY

Re: VMS 2.2 NT server hotfix question

Me too...equally skeptical. Any updates on this please....

Thankyou.

Views
Helpful
Replies