Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VMS and CSM migration for free or reduced cost (act now) expires 4/2/07

I can't find the posting where there was a heated discussion regarding VMS and Cisco forcing users to BUY Cisco Security Managager (CSM).

I looked around and found a link to a trade-in program where users can get a free upgrade to CSM. Please post questions to this mail and I will answer. I am just a concerned Cisco Systems Engineer and not a marketing guy so bear with me as we find the answers together.

I am going to copy and paste the info and links.

---Copy paste----

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6498/prod_bulletin0900aecd803ffd79.html

Migration Options from CiscoWorks VPN/Security Management Solution

Cisco is not adding support for new features and new devices in CiscoWorks VPN/Security Management Solution (CiscoWorks VMS) after the release of Cisco Security Manager. Furthermore, support for devices such as Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances is only be available with Cisco Security Manager. Customers that require provisioning for Cisco firewalls, VPNs, and IPSs will want to plan their migration to take advantage of significant enhancements in the new software.

Customers with a current Cisco Software Application Support (SAS) service or Software Application Support plus Upgrades (SASU) service for CiscoWorks VMS are entitled to a defined device license for Cisco Security Manager at no additional charge. The value of the new license is higher than the cost of the original CiscoWorks VMS purchase. Customers with a current CiscoWorks VMS Basic license that have a Cisco SMARTnet? contract, or a Cisco Services for IPS contract with selected IPS hardware, can also upgrade to Cisco Security Manager. See Tables 2 to 4 for the upgrade licenses that can be requested at no additional cost from http://www.cisco.com/upgrade. The appropriate upgrade option will be visible on the Website if you have an eligible service contract with an existing CiscoWorks VMS license.

Note: All no charge and discounted offers to upgrade from CiscoWorks VMS to Cisco Security Manager will be discontinued after April 2, 2007.

-----------

Regards,

Ray Aragon

2 REPLIES

Re: VMS and CSM migration for free or reduced cost (act now) exp

Ray,

I think the posting that you are referring to is here:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Security&topic=Intrusion%20Prevention%20Systems/IDS&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddd2017

Some very interesting points were raised but the main issue is about functionality rather that cost. Basically, CSM does not fully replicate the functionality of VMS (see the thread) and this is the main issue for a lot of folks.

What might be useful is for Cisco to ask the question "what functionality would you like to see in CSM?" - and publish the answers somewhere, to allow folks to vote on the proposed features and/or add new requests. Just an idea.

Andrew.

Re: VMS and CSM migration for free or reduced cost (act now) exp

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for the link I spent 15 minutes trying to look for it....

Well, I will have a look at the list and make sure the Product Managers get the info.

Thanks again.

Ray

Views
Helpful
Replies