Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VMS Basic - orderable?

When will VMS Basic be a regularly orderable item? It is now visible through the configurator, so it should be orderable, but it does not show up in the pricing tool.

I followed Scott and Marco's thread about its availability on the Upgrade Tool, but I'm asking about general availability for new purchasers.

Thanks,

4 REPLIES

Re: VMS Basic - orderable?

It is available now. I received my placement Feb 10. Enjoy.

Cisco Employee

The pricing tool does not show all product codes.

It only shows those that can be purchased for a certain price, or are free to everyone.

(Codes for items only available through PUT will not show up in the pricing tool because they can not be independantly purchased.)

The VMS Basic is not free to everyone. It is only available at no extra cost to those users who either purchase a new sensor after the announcement, or have a current maintenance contract on their sensor.

If you order a sensor you will get it automatically in the box with the new sensor. There will not be an extra part number to select, it will be included right along with the power cord and other items in the box with the sensor. So just order the same old sensor part number and you will get it.

NOTE: Last I heard there may still be a few days before the CD gets added into all of the new sensor purchases.

If you purchase a new sensor and for some reason don't get the CD, then if you have a maintenance contract simply go through the PUT to get your VMS Basic CD. If you don't have a maintenance contract you would need to talk with your sales rep. They may be able to get you a short term maintenance contract so you can order it through PUT, or maybe they could put in an internal order for the part number not on the price list.

If you already have a sensor then you will need to order it through the PUT (Product Upgrade Tool). Your maintenance contract will need to be update to get access through the PUT.

Hi,

this Cisco approach makes me really sick.

I bought a new IDS six weeks ago. I don't plan to buy another one.

If it's given for free to new IDS, why the hell istn't it possible to order VMS Basic CD standard way to the installed ones?

I don't want any short term maintenance contract or to plead anybody to do me a favour, I just want to buy VMS Basic.

Regards,

Milan

I'm betting this is where your reseller comes in and covers you. Cisco will have to stay soft on this issue, especially since it was supposed to have shipped with IDS in December.

Views
Helpful
Replies