cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 3000 and Unidirectional traffic behind firewall

pstuder
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a strange one .. I have a VPN3030 Concentrator (Version 4.1.4) to which I am able to connect without issue. The problem is that traffic is flowing in only 1 direction (according to the client - version 4.0.3C) it flows in the transmit to the concentrator, but not the receive. My client is sitting behind a PIX 501. I have opened everything up on the PIX and it still behaves the same way. Now, when I bypass the PIX and run the PPPoE client on my laptop, it connects and traffic flows in both directions. I am troubleshooting this for a customer who is not using PIX everywhere - they have several Watchguard firewalls deployed and they behave in the same manner. One point of note is that this problem does not happen to everyone .. only a handful of users with nothing in common except for the concentrator.

If anyone has seen this or has any insight/suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

3 Replies 3

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

Maybe a nat-traversal problem?

Well, we looked at that initially and when we enabled NAT-T on the concentrator, I was not able to connect at all. My firewall has "fixup protocol ike-esp" configured as well as "isakmp nat-traversal 20". According to the concentrator, phase 2 completes and the tunnel is up ... just not passing traffic for some reason.

Found the issue .. the firewall sitting in front of the concentrator did not have UDP 4500 open. Once we opened that, amazing ... it worked. RTFI.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: