cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 3000 Auth. with W2k ActiveDirectory?

cnsjohj
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to get the VPN 3000 Concentrator to authenticate dial-in users using an internal Windows 2000 Active Directory, or is it only the "old" Windows NT 4 Domain model that's supported?

5 Replies 5

ishah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I haven't tried it but if you put Authentication Server (Radius) onto a AD Domain controller you will be able to use AD but the comms between the concentrator and the AD domain controller will be clear text (not encrypted)

Hope that helps

cjacinto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The concentrator could authenticate remote access vpn users directly to Active Directory. As long as you define the right domain name, dns name and dns ip of the domain controller. To the concentrator it is the same domain controller authentication, it is not domain controller by itself on the AD tree if that is what you are asking.

Chris,

I tried this and it does not seem to work. Can you please point me to a document that might help clarify?

Thanks ...

Doug Schlosser

Verizon Enterprise Solutions

Are you using native AD or mixed mode?

If you are operating on mixed mode, you should still be ok. If you are operating on native,

then it would be different, and I would like to clarify my previous statement that I was referring on mixed mode and not native AD. On mixed mode you would still have the same model as the the previous NT Domain, where you would have the Netbios name of the Domain controller

defined on the concentrator. If you are using Native AD. Native AD support is not yet on the current code on the concentrator, it is planned for the release 4.0 of the code. Sorry for the confusion.

I am using native active directory. I guess I'll wait for version 4.

Thanks ... Doug