Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VPN 3002 Fragmentation - need logging info

I have a 3005 at head ofice and a 3002 in a remote office. I am experiencing problems with framentation when large files are sent to the remote office. The packets are being fragmented by the 3005 and the 3002 can reassemble up to a point (usually about 1meg of data) and then reassembly fails and the file transfer fails.

This site is far worse than all of our other sites using a 3002 and I was hoping to diagnose the problem through event logging on the 3002.

Does anyone know which events/severities I should be watching in the logfile to see any events related to the reassembly failures? I'm trying to find out if its a buffer issue, out-of order packet sequence issue, or something else. I need some clues.

P.S. - I am aware that lowering the MTU on the client workstation aleviates the problem.

4 REPLIES

Re: VPN 3002 Fragmentation - need logging info

I think it is a buffer issue but I don’t know for sure. Since we were told to reduce the mtu to 1400, we’re not having any problems.

I was having the same problem, but after upgrading to Rel 3.5.2 the problem was resolved. So you may want to upgrade the IOS on the Concentrator and the 3002

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I have upgraded the client and concentrator to 3.5.2 and the problem persists.

I believe Pre-fragmentation will fix my issue. This feature is supported in IOS 12.1(11) for IPSEC VPNs but hasn't been implemented in the 3000 series devices.

Bug Toolkit ID CSCdx06216 is currently assigned and it basically looks like it is a fix that will do "pre-fragmentation". However, the severity is 6 (lowest) so I don't know how long it will take them to implement.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content