cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 3005 and Microsoft Exchange 5.5

mleichter
Level 1
Level 1

I've recently installed a 3005 concentrator at my workplace. I am having difficulty accessing my exchange 5.5 server through the concentrator, I have a laptop running Wondows 2000 that is part of the NT4 domain. I use it in my office and connect to all network recources without a problem. When I take it home and log on I have no issues logging in through my grouo and using my network logon I am able to get into my domain. I can access files, use printers etc without any issues. When I attempt to log on to my e-mail using the same logon profile in outlook I am unable to get in. I click the ICON for outlook and it promps me for credential. I enter the ID, Password and Domain and they get rejected.

I can't find anything in the configuration of the concentrator that would do this. I'm out of ideas as to what the issue is

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!!

Mal Leichter

5 Replies 5

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

Does the exchange server your mailbox is on have a dns and/or wins record? When you are connected via vpn, and you experience the behaviour that you describe, try opening a command prompt, and see what happens when you ping the hostname of the exchange server. You can also, when outlook is closed, try going into the mail icon in the control panel, go to the properties of the " microsoft exchange server", and see if the server name is underlined. if it is not, try clicking check name.

The name resolves to the IP address and the address resolves to the name. If I run a tracert I see a hop to the VPN Concentrator address and then the mail server.

I can't get to the mail configuration page because that requires the validation of the mail credentials!!!

Talk about a catch 22

Mal

What happens when you try from a command prompt:

net view \\exchangeservername

I get the following error when I do a net view to the Mail server

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net view \\mailsrv

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

I tried another server in the domain and I can see a list of the shares.

Thanks Mal

This is really odd - I expect these kinds of things to happen when the client pc is a non-domain machine, but even there my users have found happiness manually entering their credentials into Outlook's own pop up credentials box - this is how I work with my xp pro/outlook 2k desktop at home.

You should be able to manipulate the mail icon in control panel whenever outlook is closed. There isn't a ton to change there, but the exchange server name needs to be underlined, as that is the general indicator that it is usable.

If you have auditing enabled on your exchange box, you might see some correlating events in the application and security logs in eventvwr.

Running out of ideas.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: