Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VPN 3030 and Avaya IP Softphone

Many of our telecommuters use a Lucent/Avaya product called IP Softphone. This software is a poor man's VoIP in that it allows for redirection of calls from the local office PBX to your home phone and allows you to dial-out from your house as if you were in the office. Since converting to the Cisco VPN we have lost the ability to communicate with this software/PBX. Best I can tell the packets sent from the local machine are embedded with the ISP given IP address rather then VPN given, so the PBX is unable to talk with the local computer. We just converted from a Nortel VPN which seemed to overwrite your local computer network settings with the VPN given IP address etc. while connected. Is there any way to do this with the cisco or at least be able to fool the PBX??

3 REPLIES
noc

Re: VPN 3030 and Avaya IP Softphone

i doubt this has anything to do with the cisco vpn, from which i have done similar applications.. i believe you may have to check how your internal network is setup, and whether the routes are all inplace @ the pbx..

can the pbx speak to the ip addresses used by your clients while on the VPN ? can you have you pbx vendor ping the clients IP addresses while the are on the VPN..

do you have a router (or firewall) filtering some ports/protocols behind the vpn concentrator ?

perhaps the pbx is receiving traffic from the vpn clients, but since it has no routes to them, the packets are getting dropped ?

I would set up a sniffer and monitor what is being sent to and from the pbx's connection to the internal network to determine where the traffic is failing..

what is the routing structure on the pbx ? does it have a default route towards the internal interface ip address of the vpn concentrator, or does it have a default route to another router or firewall, and then routes for the vpn pool ip addresses used by clients when they connect ?

I think the problem may be in your design.

Cisco Employee

Go get the latest Lucent IP Softphone software and on the client you would be able to specify the internal ip address the vpn client received. The latest Avaya client would have the advanced tab to put in the ip address.

Cisco Employee

so, you're using a vpn3030 with the cisco vpn client.

Then normally, your client should use the ip address sent by the vpn box (not the isp address).

I would check the config of the vpn3030 to make it is sending the correct address.

But it might be the softphone software not using the vpn client address.

Did you correctly uninstall the previous vpn client before installing cisco ?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content