cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 3030 Behind a PIX

mike.scaggs
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I have installed my 3030 behind my PIX with the outside leg of the 3030 in a DMZ and the inside leg into another DMZ.

Now, if I plug my laptop into the outside interface of the 3030 I can connect to the VPN and route everywhere in my WAN.

The problem is getting outside access to the outside interface through the PIX.

I have written rules taht look like this just to get started.

access-list acl_out permit ip any host (pub address)

access-group acl_out in interface outside

access-list vpn_out permit ip any any

access-group vpn_out in interface vpn

static (vpn,outside) (Public address) 10.22.67.252

The problem is I cannot reach the vpn's outside int through the PIX. I did runa debug on that interface as well as the crypto ipsec and isakmp but nothing shows up. Like I said, It works if I go diectly to the outside of the vpn concentrator. That rules out routing and DHCP addressing and such....

Thanks Mike

2 Replies 2

brford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mike,

I'd suggest looking at installing the 3030 public interface on the Internet perimeter next to the PIX outside interface. There is no gain to opening the PIX to allow all IPsec traffic through the outside to the concentrator.

Then plug the 3030 private interface into a PIX intermediate interface (not inside or outside). On that intermediate interface make sure that you have a route inside. If traffic comes to the inside from an intermediate interface the PIX sends the return back out that intermediate interface.

Take off all ACLs until the packet passing works.

Liberty for All,

Brian

Brian Ford | brford@cisco.com | brford@yahoo.com | 51 75 61 6c 69 74 79 20 6d 65 61 6e 73 20 64 6f 69 6e 67 20 69 74 20 72 69 67 68 74 20 77 68 65 6e 20 6e 6f 20 6f 6e 65 20 69 73 20 6c 6f 6f 6b 69 6e 67 2e | Email me when you figure this out.

cjacinto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First you have to have a static translation from your DMZ to the outside interface for your VPN 3K outside interface. Next you have to permit, udp/500,

esp and/or ah protocol for this address. If you want to ping the translated address, you also need to permit icmp. Make sure the VPN 3000 has a default gateway to DMZ interface of the PIX it is facing. Also the DMZ interface that the outside interface is on should be of lower security than the

DMZ interface that the inside interface is facing.