cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN and 2650 router

mreilly
Level 1
Level 1

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but here goes. I am looking to implement a vpn concentrator into the school district that I work at but I was told by someone that you can do the same thing on a 2650 routing using IOS? I was under the impression that you needed to add a module to do this. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

gfesler
Level 1
Level 1

the vpn module is not required to do vpn on the 2650 but it takes the vpn proceesing off the routers processor you will need the ipsec feature set to do vpn on the router at minimal if using WIN2000 & XP you will need 12.2.8T IOS & the 3.5.1 VPN300 Client the following URL shows how to configure it:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t8/ftunity.htm#xtocid25

sorry for the typo it is the VPN3000 Client

you will need to purchase an expensive 3des IOS feature pack, and then

its still not as easy to manage (killer web interface on the 3005 concentrator), or as fast (4mbps out of the box @ 3des). You will need the vpn accelerator

to get those speeds from the 2650. I have read from newsgroups the 2600 series doing around 512k 3des, and its more more money. You can get a

2611 or 2621 and a 3005 for 5K, while you will spend around 7K to 8K for 2650, feature pack 3des, and t-1 wics.

Even if the vpn was twice the price, the management is worth doing what ever you have to, to get the concentrator.

7pautore
Level 1
Level 1

It all depends on how many users are going to be connecting? what type of encryption would you like to implement? and most important of all how easy you want your management to be. The vpn concentrator is a great deal. Look into the different models and see what features you need. I'm doing Des encryption on a 2650 and it drags at phase one- Go ahead and spend the money, it's not your money and keep our economy rolling